This plant-based & dairy-free Easy Chocolate Mug Cake would satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth! Make sure to try it out next time a chocolate craving kicks in and you need something simple and quick to make.
- Whole wheat flour & cacao powder. These make up most of the dry ingredients in this mug cake. I love using whole grain flours, but feel free to experiment with others as well. The cacao powder gives the chocolatey feeling to the dessert and needs to be unsweetened.
- Maple syrup, coconut sugar & banana. These make the mug cake nicely sweetened and moist. You can swap the maple syrup for any liquid sweetener like agave or date syrup, and the coconut sugar for brown or regular white sugar.
- Almond butter. It plays the role of fat in the recipe, giving it a nice nutty flavor profile. You can also do cashew or peanut butter.
- Plant milk. The main liquid ingredient any mug cake needs. I love using organic soy milk for its protein and fat content.
- Ground vanilla beans. These add a nice additional layer of flavor and aroma. Feel free to replace with vanilla extract.
- Baking powder & salt. Baking powder helps the mug cake rise, whereas salt makes the chocolate flavor shine even more.
- Chopped walnuts, cacao nibs, dark chocolate & fresh raspberries. These are used for garnish and adding different textures to the dessert. The dark chocolate melts nicely on top of the cake, and the fresh raspberry, with their sour note, complement the chocolate in an unique way.
This recipe is pretty easy and straight forward. It starts by combining all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. These are the whole wheat flour, unsweetened cacao powder, salt, ground vanilla beans, baking powder, coconut sugar and chopped walnuts. Next, add the maple syrup, almond butter, plant milk and mashed banana. Once a batter is formed, transfer to two mugs or microwave safe glasses, top with dark chocolate pieces and microwave for 1 minute. After that, the dessert is ready to be garnished with fresh raspberries, chopped walnuts and cacao nibs.
- 4 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground vanilla beans
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 6 tbsp plant milk
- 1/2 mashed banana
- More chopped walnuts
- Cacao nibs
- 6 pieces of dark chocolate (70%)
- 6 fresh raspberries
- To a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and combine together.
- Next, to the dry ingredients, add all the wet ingredients. Mix well until a batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into two mugs or microwave safe glasses with a capacity of around 250 ml. Don't fill them up to the very top so that the batter has room to rise when cooking.
- Place the dark chocolate pieces on top of the batter, press them down a bit and microwave for 1 minute.
- Garnish the top of the mug cakes with more chopped walnuts, cacao nibs and fresh raspberries.
- Dig in and enjoy!